Saucy Seaside Salad
We literally ate this for at least one meal a day the entire trip to Kauai. We ate raw, juicy, refreshing, vegan foods the whole time, and never felt better. Here is a trick that made meal time a breeze!
We chopped many of the veggies the night before, and enough for a few days. You can do this with cabbage (we shred it), zucchini, some greens, peppers and a few other things. Cucumber, avocado and tomato should always be chopped fresh, not in advance, as they expire more quickly.
- 1/2 head of lettuce, we love red leaf or red butter lettuce, chopped thin
- 1/2 c shredded cabbage, we mix red and green
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cucumber or 1 persian cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 zucchini, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped tarragon
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro
Mix the veggies in a container with a lid that you can travel with. Top with the fresh herbs. Set aside ready to go.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh (never use bottled, fresh is so easy! Just cut in half, use a fork and turn it.)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or pinch cayenne (or both!)
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 roasted bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted olives, we used salt-cured
Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and transfer the mixture to a sealed, water-tight container.
Top the salad with the sauce and mix evenly to serve.