“HELLO DOLLY BARS, MAGIC BARS, OR 7-LAYER BARS”
Baking ingredients fly off of store shelves this time of year as we treat others and ourselves to sweet extravagance—nothing says “holiday” liked cookies, cakes, fudge, and pies. Try this updated, healthy recipe twist on traditional Hello Dolly bars (variously known as “Magic Bars” or “Seven-Layer Bars”) from Curry Girls Kitchen. Healthy substitutions help you make gluten-free and/or dairy-free versions.
½ Stick or 4 oz Butter or alternative butter sticks
1 Cup gluten-free Graham Cracker Crumbs OR In a mini food processor, OR baggie and a rolling pin, make fine crumbs from gluten-free graham crackers.
1 Package Chocolate Chips
1 Package Peanut butter or Butterscotch Chips
1 container Sweetened Condensed Milk (Organic) OR a dairy-free coconut milk version
1 Cup Coconut flakes (more if needed to cover the top)
1 Cup chopped Pecans or other favorite nuts: walnut or a mixture with macadamia
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Here are your 7 Steps to making a slice of heaven!
1. Melt butter to cover bottom of 9×13 baking pan
2. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter, (shake pan to distribute evenly)
3. Add package of chocolate chips evenly over the graham crackers (shake again)
4. Add package of peanut or butterscotch chips evenly over chocolate chips
5. Slowly in a back and forth motion, pour sweetened condensed milk over chips
6. Sprinkle coconut flakes over condensed milk
7. Sprinkle chopped pecans over coconut flakes
Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Let cool completely before cutting into bars.