Over the summer season, veggies and fruits are ubiquitous at the farmer’s market, grocery store, bodega, and roadside produce stands…but as weather turns toward chillier days and nights, lots of trees and vines are finishing up for the year. Luckily, this is when cruciferous powerhouse broccoli really comes into its prime. Fresh ingredients make the best eating, simple techniques make the best prep experience, and kids of all ages love this soup!!!
- 2 T Ghee, olive oil, or butter
- 1 bunch Broccoli (about 2 Cups, stems peeled and diced too!)
- 1 Cup or a handful of sugar snap peas (dont forget to remove string)
- 4 Cups Stock: Chicken or No-chicken broth
- ½ Onion rough chopped or a leek (green part only) or both
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- On medium heat, in a preheated pot, sauté onions in ghee/butter/oil.
- Add the broccoli, sugar snaps, garlic.
- Cover vegetables with 4 cups of broth of choice and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat cover & simmer for 10-15 minutes, until broccoli is tender.
- Carefully, using an immersion hand blender, puree the soup.
- If you like it chunky, remove ½ of soup to a bowl and mash it with a potato masher. Puree other half of soup. Return chunky mash back to soup pot and stir well.
- For a thicker version add less broth more veggies
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with grated Pecorino Romano and a splash of lemon, or eat as is!